Awarding Organisation – QNUK Credit Value – 3
Duration – 3 days
Qualification Purpose: This qualification is aimed at those who require a more advanced level of first aid knowledge. Typical learners will include; security operatives, construction and industrial first aiders who are looking to add to the standard first aid qualification.
The qualification comprises of 1 Unit – Undertaking the Role of a First Responder. which is split into 13 x Learning Outcomes (LO):
LO1 – Understand the role and responsibilities of a first responder
LO2 – Understand the principles of scene management
LO3 – Know how to minimise the risk to oneself due to poor manual handling techniques
LO4 – Be able to undertake basic casualty assessment and monitoring
LO5 – Be able to assess and manage a casualty who is unresponsive
LO6 – Be able to support a casualty with suitable airway management techniques
LO7 – Be able to recognise and manage a casualty with a minor injury
LO8 – Be able to manage a casualty who has a catastrophic bleed
LO9 – Know how to recognise and manage a casualty who is in shock
LO10 – Know how to recognise and manage common trauma related injuries
LO11 – Know how to recognise and manage a range of medical emergencies
LO12 – Know how to recognise and manage a casualty affected by heat or cold
LO13 – Be able to perform basic life support procedures on a paediatric casualty
Assessment: This qualification is assessed by the following methods: multiple choice exam questions. Learners must achieve 80% correct answers to pass the exam. Portfolio of evidence. Learners will be observed while performing practical first aid skills.
1. Learners should have at least a Level 2 numeracy and literacy or equivalent
2. Learners should be at least 18 years old in order to undertake the qualification
3. Learners should have the physical capabilities to be able to perform the practical first aid procedures
4. Learners need to be able to provide at least one form of photographic identification or two forms of non-photographic identification.
Progression Opportunities: Learners can progress on to the following qualifications:
1. Learners can progress onto other prehospital care qualifications.